405 South Main, Milford, UT 84751 (435) 387-2711

About Us

stargov32
Hand pressing a contact us button on blurred city lights background
Please enter your name.
Please enter a message.

Contact Info:

405 South Main Street

P.O. Box 69

Milford, Utah  84751

Telephone Number

Office:  435 387-2711

Fax: 435 387-2748

About Us

Community Profile | Enterprise Zone | Residential Reference | Consumer Information

 

Milford City Governmental Offices

405 South Main

Milford, Utah  84751


Mailing Address
P.O. Box 69
Milford, Utah  84751


Telephone Numbers

Office
435 387-2711
435 387-5070

Fax  435 387-2748


Office Hours 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding holidays
Meeting Dates Third Tuesday, 7:00 p.m.
Population 1,451
Classification Fifth Class City
Form of Government Manager by Ordinance
Incorporation Date November 30, 1903

 

Welcome to Milford Utah

Since Milford is 30 miles west of  Interstate 15 -- it has remained unknown to many Utah travelers. Although it has a small-town feel, Milford is no stranger to big business. Once dominated by the Union Pacific Railroad, the town is now the headquarter for the Circle Four Farms hog operation.

Population
1,451.

Elevation
4,968 feet.

History

Milford is located in a broad valley a few miles east of the geographical center of Beaver County. Originally, Milford was nothing more than a few shacks built on the hills near mines under excavation. Many of the miners who first came to Milford left within a few years after trying their fortune, but others came to stay. Arvin Stoddard was the first settler of the area, claiming 160 acres of land in 1880, building the first house in the area, and planting the first trees. During this same time, prospectors were searching the hills to the west and southwest for lead, silver, and gold. A Welsh smelterman, John D. Williams, came to Milford in 1880. He eventually built a smelter on land adjoining the Stoddard claim. Some contemporaries described Milford as a "perfect mudhole," or the "perfection of desolation."

Cattle-raising was also important in Milford's development. In the early 1870s three brothers settled at Pine Grove in Pine Valley west of Milford and established a cattle ranch. Within a few years several cattle companies had stock grazing in the land surrounding Milford. B.F. Saunders of Salt Lake City owned Utah's largest cattle herd--the Pike Springs Ranch--and he made Milford his shipping point. Cattle grazing was possible on nearby public domain land year round. Meadow grass covered the Beaver and Milford valleys from Hay Springs to Black Rock and supported as many as 20,000 head of cattle and 5,000 head of horses.

During the 1880s Milford became the railroad terminal for the Southern Utah Line, and it was particularly important as a loading place for the cattle of southern Utah. The railroad also enhanced Milford's importance as a supply station and the shipping center for local mines; it also facilitated trade with regional markets. Milford became the terminus for freighting activities for a region that included southern Utah, southern Nevada, and northern Arizona.

The railroad attempted three different times to extend rails from Milford to California. In 1881 work was begun on the roadbed but was quickly abandoned. In 1890 a second attempt was cut short by the national depression. The third attempt, in 1898, was successful and resulted in a line to Caliente, Nevada, by 1901. Milford was a valuable division terminal because of its excellent location and water facilities.

At the turn of the century, Milford had a population of 279, and in 1903 these inhabitants petitioned the county commission for incorporation. This facilitated both the codification of local ordinances and the unified planning for growth. Milford's Main Street was characterized by its simple frame architecture typical of mining towns. Saloons, boarding houses, and mercantile outfits lined both sides of the street. As might be expected, the town was plagued by fire and many structures burned to the ground from time to time.

In an article published in the Deseret News on 8 November 1914, Joseph Hickman claimed that "Milford has been Utah's most thorough representative of all types of frontier life." This statement describes the diverse nature of Milford's social, cultural, and economic life. Established first to service local mines, it quickly became an agricultural and stock-raising center of significance. This diversification is what allowed Milford to survive the closure of the mines, local smelters, and the slow-down of the mining industry.

Things to Do

 

The town is relatively quiet, with two motels, two restaurants and a fast-food place. Some visitors fish at nearby Minersville Reservoir, once a state park but now a recreation area operated by Beaver County. Desert lovers can explore ghost towns and old mines in the nearby mountains.